Friday 14 February 2014

I arrived late last night, after a 23 hour door to door journey, and I was met at the airport by one of the lads who works at the Guesthouse El Balsamo - where I am staying. San Salvador airport is really manic and I wouldn't have fancied trying to wade through the awaiting crowds with my luggage and belongings, trying to organise transport myself. The 30 minute high speed drive in the pitch-black darkness was a little un-nerving but cost only $40 (£25). The owners, Gijs and Veronica were very warm and welcoming and had everything ready for me, including a couple of ice cold beers. I slept soundly and was up at the crack of dawn this morning and went straight out for a 3 hour walk in the surrounding area, as I couldn't really see anything when I arrived last night. On my return, I had breakfast at a nearby eaterie - Sparky's - recommended by Gijs. To give you some idea of costs, a 1000ml (nearly 2 pints) bottle of Pilsner cost $2 (£1.25 which works out at less than 80p a pint!) at the guesthouse bar and breakfast at Sparky's, consisting of a big mushroom, cheese and spinach omelette, sauted potatoes, tomato, peppers and onion side salad, four rounds of toast, jams and honey, a pint of freshly squeezed mandarin juice and three large fresh ground coffees came to $5.75 (£3.45) and left me feeling completely stuffed for the day. I shall post about my 3 hour walk later today but I am now off to the beach to try and get some colour on my milky white body in order that I won't stand out so much from the Salvadorians, who are all really dark-skinned.  

No comments:

Post a Comment